Tuesday, March 18, 2008

To speak or not to speak

It began with a simple "Hello" and went downhill from there. "Ah, hi" I stammered, as my mind frantically went into overdrive trying to figure out where I'd seen this pretty blonde woman before. "Can I buy you a drink? It's the least I can do" she offered. Something definitely was amiss because attractive young women didn't generally didn't offer to buy me drinks. I peered closer at her face. Recognition hit me like a sledge hammer. "Ah, I'm fine. I'm ah, drinking water tonight, designated driver, you know. Thanks for the offer." She shrugged her shoulders "Maybe another time then" she said, then turned to the barman. I made my escape.

"Hey, you gonna introduce us?"Jake said to me when I returned to our table. "Yeah, if you're not interested, introduce her to me" offered Simon. Both the boys had been behind me when Sophie (I'd remembered he name by now) had offered to buy me a drink. "Ah, she's not interested" I said, the guys gave me angry looks "What you talking about. If you like her, that's cool, but if not, don't be selfish" said Jake. "Yeah man, don't be selfish" echoed Simon.

What do I say? I couldn't tell them that I hadn't recognized her because I had vivid memories of her foaming at the mouth, or of her painting her room in faecs. I couldn't tell them that I'd looked after Sophie for two months in the psychiatric ward and that even at her best, she would never be quite right.

So I suggested another bar, I bought a round of drinks, and Sophie was soon forgotten.

What do you think? Did I treat Sophie wrong by not introducing my friends? Was I being Prejudiced? Well probably, but for the right reasons. I was just using my common sense. I kept them safe, kept Sophie safe, and kept my mouth shut at the same time. We were all winners.

No comments: