Thursday, May 15, 2008

Who's to Blame part II

The silence didn't last long, it was broken with an almost incoherent Mr Wright exploding down the phone line "Who the hell do you think you are? You're just a bloody nurse. Don't tell me how to raise my kids. I've never been spoken to like that before." Even though I hadn't been exactly diplomatic in my dealing with Mr Wright I was still surprised by his outburst. I guess that's what happens when you have a guilty conscience.

I kept my mouth shut about this last thought. The line went dead. The damage was done. But I wasn't worried. The big lie which Mr Wright and Jeremy were part of was a common one. The parent lies to the school, often thinking their child is responsible enough to go to a big city in the center of Europe with their school friends. Next the child lies to their parents, because of course they don't drink, don't party, don't have sex and love visiting museums.

The only person Mr Wright should be disappointed at is himself, and he should not be angry at anyone, least of all his son who never sees his father. The son should be angry that even in hospital his dad can't take the time to see him. I should be angry at having to deal with a child whose father won't take any responsibility for his son. Sadly it looks like Mr Wright will never see this, because he's too busy trying to find someone to blame.

No comments: