Monday, February 23, 2009

Religion vs Nursing

A nurse in Britain was recently suspended for offering to pray with/for a patient. The patient said no. The nurse said 'Ok, no problem' and never offered again.

Has the world gone mad? Hell, nursing and caring for the sick has always been tied up with Christianity. There is no big deal about what this nurse did. She was professional.

If people find it offensive if being asked whether they would like to pray, then soceity is even more pathetic than i imagined.

Oh no, I got asked if wanted to pray, I need counselling. It's soooo offensive. Hell, I'll sue the insensitive religious buggers, that's what I'll do.

Simply put, we can't be too afraid to ask.

It doesn't matter what profession we are in. Everyone's so bloody worried about offending someone. Well, I'm offended that I can't ask. Hell, if the patient gets offended, too bad. Say 'Sorry, I won't ask again. I didn't mean to offend'.

Patients have rights as well. They have the right to appreciate what we do for them, and not take offense when none is intended.
Hell, any patient who decides to take offense is probably looking for an excuse to stir.

Patients need to show a little common sense and tolerance as well.
No one should ever be 'deeply offended' if asked in a non forceful or persisting, nagging way.

Get a grip you politico correcto's. A nurse should be able to offer if they feel it appopriate.

2 comments:

Healthy Nurse said...

The issues was not that she offered to pray with a patient. It was that, instead of saying, if you would like me to pray with you let me know, she said would you like me to pray with you. That a dependent person in a position of a sick and dependent person being asked to say yes or no on the spot. That was totally inappropriate. Letting a patient know that you are available for prayer and to please let you know if they are interested is a very different message.

nursingaround said...

I feel that's a touch on the pedantic side. You're playing with words "would you like me to pray with you' versus 'if you would like me to pray, let me know'. Please don't be offended, but you sound like a politician.
As usual I don't know the intimate details of the case, just what the media present. Perhaps this woman had done the many times before and been warned, who knows. But from the information we have initially been given, it does sound a bit severe.