Friday, November 13, 2009

Why I want to give up nursing, Part I

"I want my son to be tested for swine flu" said Mrs Smith.
"Ah, but your son hasn't been ill" I replied.
"He's had a cough, you saw him in the health center earlier in the week" countered Mrs Smith.
"I'm sorry, but he hasn't been back to see us. We did send all parents an email explaining the criteria for isolating students. We also explained we can only test according to government guidelines."
"I want my son tested. Then he can be treated sooner"
"I understand..."
"I don't care what you understand. You're not listening to me. I want my son tested"
"I'm sorry...."
"You're not sorry. You don't care. I'm a mother ten thousand miles away worried about her son."
"I understand...
"You don't understand. You're rude, obnoxious, uncaring..."

I turned the phone off.
I saw her son later that night. He seemed pretty well with his girl friend on one arm and a burning cigarette in the other.

No comments: