Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Another Drug Talk part I

"Sir, what's the most dangerous drug around?" asked Shane. The normally rowdy class was silent as twenty pairs of eyes locked onto mine.

As usual my presentation was last minute and unplanned. It may not have been the best way to presnt such an important subject but I preferred it that way. I just told stories of the things I'd seen and done during my years as a nurse. The stories of my two years spent working in a psychiatric ward were always very poignant when it came to talking about drugs.

"Well, I guess some are more dangerous" I began, but Shane interupted "Yeah, but which ones are more likely to harm us. Which ones are gonna kill us?" I paused briefly to consider the best way to answer. "They can all kill" I evetually said. "Some slowly and some quickly. There's no safe drug..." Shane interupted me again "Marijuana's safe" he called out.

It hit me like a bolt of lightning. It was time to tell them the story of Jamie's joint.

No comments: