Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bought me a Doctor

Marie rolled her trouser leg to her knee, "Can't you see it?" she asked, looking at me expectantly. I peered hard at ankle, but there was nothing to see. No bruising, no swelling. I gently touched her ankle, moving it up and down, then left and right. She didn't flinch. "I can't see anything, and it doesn't seem sore" Marie let out a small sigh of exasperation. "It doesn't really matter if you can't see it. My doctor back home said I have fluid on my ankle and I shouldn't go skiing. You can't make me ski. I have a doctor's note" Marie put her sock back on and rolled her trouser leg back down.

This was Marie's second and senior year at St Mary's exclusive boarding school and with her long blonde hair, blue eyes, innocent smile and billionaire father, Marie was used to getting her own way, even when her father was several thousand miles away in another country. "Would you stop talking rubbish. You and I both know there's nothing wrong with your ankle. Why don't you want to ski?" I demanded. Marie's face broke into that innocent smile "Why I don't know what you're talking about" she even had the gall to flutter her eyelashes at me. "Fine, I'll just have to clarify things with your dad" I said as I picked up the phone. Marie made a grab for the phone "You wouldn't dare. That's against confidentiality" I put the phone out of her reach and began to dial. "Ok, ok, you're right. There's nothing wrong with my ankle, just please don't call my dad. He'd be so disappointed to hear I'm not skiing" she begged. "Well then just be honest for once and tell me why you don't want to ski."

Marie's smile faded and her expression turned serious "I don't look good in ski clothes." I waved her out of the office, disgust evident on my face. "Let's see what your doctor has to say."

Three days later an email arrived stating that Marie had internal bruising to her ankle and was not to ski. It didn't say which ankle, and it didn't say what she could or couldn't do. I was no longer annoyed at Maria, after-all, she's being clever to get what she wants. I became angry at the doctor she had bought.

"Dear Dr, I'm a little concerned about Marie's ankle. You seem to indicate there is a problem, which Marie has admitted is not true, and is in fact fabricated. Could you please clarify this matter. It would be also useful if you could tell me which ankle is affected as you didn't mention this, plus Marie seems to have forgotten as well. Also, as Marie has had no previous restriction on activity, could you please explain in detail exactly what she can and cannot do. So far this year she has been hiking, biking, ice-skating and climbing among other things.
I look forward to your reply and trust you will set things straight.
Sincerely
The Health Center."

Cherie is off the hook. I've found a new target, the Doctor for sale.

No comments: