Wednesday, July 9, 2008

We're all oppressors... at least I'm told so

The Kamatua ground his thumb on the table, his eyes locked onto mine "See that thumb, that's you white people, and all Maori are under it" his voice quavered as he said this, seeming to struggle to contain his righteous anger. Somehow dinner had turned into a confrontation between the head of the local Maori tribe and myself.

How exactly did I end up in a confrontation with the head of the local Maori tribe? Well, as part of our nursing training the graduating class had to spend a night on the local Marae. The goal of the visit was to discuss ways in which we could help Maori people feel more comfortable in the white world of modern medicine. We were learning how to make Maori patients feel more comfortable in such an alien envirnoment, how to meet their cultural needs.

The confrontation began innocently enough. The kamatua decided to sit with me at dinner, and as happens with a group of people sharing a table, sharing good food, a conversation soon ensued. "This is a special place" he began, glancing round at his surroundings, his eyes lingering on some of the Maori carvings. I nodded my head. "It effects everyone, even Pakeha people like you" he said, obviously referring to being on the Marae. Pakeha is the Maori word for people of European, or white decent. "What do you mean, people like me?" I had to ask as his wording almost seemed to border on insulting. It seemed as if this was just what the Kamatua had been waiting for he answered without hesitation "The people in charge, our oppressors."

I sat there in silence, too shocked to be angry. I briefly wondered what this had to do with nursing. I wondered how this would make me a more caring nurse, but came up blank. I didn't need this confrontation, not now at the end of my three years of training. I didn't need to be labelled as a stirrer, a trouble maker, or even a racist. I tried to be diplomatic "Well, I'm just here to help people, that's what nurses do. I'm not into all this politics and stuff" I replied. My response seemd to anger him as his eyes narrowed, his face deepend into a frown "Fighting for our land, our culture isn't politics" he then ground his thumb on the table "See that thumb, that's you white people, and all Maori are under it."

So that's how I ended up here, on the receving end of a Maori leader. But I wasn't going to do down without a fight.

"To be honest, I really don't think this has anything to do with nursing. I don't need to be told how to care for Maori patients, least of all by such an unpleasant host as yourself." By this time we had attracted a small crowd of onlookers, amongst them two frowning nurse tutors. But I hadn't finished.

"As I see it, I'll treat anyone, from anywhere, on an individual basis. If I have a Russian, Korean or even a bloody Martian, I'll base my care on their individual needs." The Kamatua's face was filled with rage, but I wasn't worth further time. He rose from the table and walked away without another word.

It was an interesting experience spending the night on the Marae. This part has now been stopped as too many students were complaining that it had nothing to do with nursing, and I happen to agree. The biggest shock of all was what I can only describe as hate from my hosts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So who is the bigger racist? The white nurse that is willing to "see" past the differences....or the "patient" that can't let go and continually "stirs the pot"?

Steve

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting posting and blog. Would like to have an online interview for my series of postings on The Nurse in my blog
http://empower-you.blogspot.com
It will be about 5 or 6 questions?
If interested please contact me in the next week! This week's posting is the interview with a Nurse Practitioner.