Monday, July 7, 2008

Where's the racist?

My eyes practically bulged out of my head as I read that last phrase again "...nursing staff, medical staff and environment systemically racist." The letter was signed by Marore family which I had come to know very well over the last two weeks. Helen Clarke leant forward in her chair, her arms resting on her desk "You were Mr Marore's primary nurse, so we're talking to you first. Nothing much specific has been said, and no names mentioned, but perhaps you could explain why the Marore family has sent this letter."

I sat there in silence, my mind a complete blank. I want to be honest, but I don't think it will work. The family wouldn't send a letter like this for no reason, but that's just the problem, I couldn't think of a reason. I couldn't think of a single reason why the Marore family found the care of their recently deceased father racist. "Sorry Helen, I don't have a clue. I acutally liked Mr Marore, hell, he even requested me to be his nurse every time I was on. Maybe it's just the family grieving, I mean they knew he was eventually going to die, but still, that doesn't make it a whole lot easier. Perhaps it's grief talking." The words seemed to slip out of my mouth on their own, and it took me a few moments to digest just what I had said. The more I thought about it the more my suggestion sounded plausable.

Helen nodded her head thoughtfully, "Perhaps you're right, but are you sure you can't think of anything specific, any reason why they would send a letter like this?" I took another look at the letter, "Well, it does say here that they feel the hospital policy of allowing only two visitors in at a time prevents them from healing in a traditional family way" I noted. "And was that enforced?" asked Helen. "C'mon Helen, you know it's never followed, as well as the visiting hours that are never followed. We always make exceptions. Hell, the minimum visitors that Mr Marore had were two. I swear we've had all his immediate family plus every cousin in there sometimes." Helen managed a brief smile before her face turned somber "But these are very serious allegations, it still has to be dealt with." I shrugged my shoulders "Sorry, can't help anymore."

I read through the complaint letter again, but it didn't help anymore. "Look Helen, the only specific thing they've complained about is the offical numbers of visitors allowed, the rest vague, it doesn't acutally complain about a specific person, just everyone. Perhaps you should request something specific from them, perhaps word it in such a way that you want their input so to make the system better."

Helen was in agreement and let me head back to work.

Over the next several weeks everyone in the department was questioned, and everyone came up blank. It caused a lot of stress and left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Helen was no further ahead and did send a letter as I had suggested.

We'll hear the reply to that letter in a future blog.

No comments: