Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Racist not, just Culturally aware

"It's your job to tell the ones faking and the ones that are sick" moaned Marco, "So do your job" he added with a touch of venom. Poor Marco, he just doesn't know when to keep his trap shut. I was beginning to feel sympathetic towards him, but now he's turned me against him.

"Ah, Marco, when did I say you were faking your illness" I asked with forced politeness. "C'mon sir, you know I'm sick, just let me sleep. Don't send me back to class, please" he begged. Three years looking after teenagers and it still amazed me how the kids could be rude and obnoxious one moment and then pleading the next. But what amazed me more how they expected sympathy even after they insulted me. When I was their age I know I wasn't stupid enough to offend the person who I was hoping would help me.

There are two problems with Marco. The first is that he is Italian. I'm not being racist, just more culturally aware. All the Italian kids I look after insist on being sent to bed at the slightest sign of a sniffly nose or scratchy throat. They act like they are dying.

The second problem is that Marco is not used to being told what he can and can't do. All his parents have ever done is throw money at him, and sent him off to boarding school for someone else to raise.

"Marco, you're your own worst enemy, did you know that" I said. "What do you mean sir?" Marco replied sounding genuinely confused. "Well, you just don't know when to keep your mouth shut. I was going to let you have some time off school to rest, but now you've made me angry."

"I'm sorry sir, so sorry. You know me. I'm real sorry."

What to do. Well, I guess I'm just soft. I let the lad rest.

1 comment:

Carin Diaz said...

I didn't know that about young Italians. Good post.

I have to mention, your tags are are hard to read because of the color.