Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Saving the patient, and my Friends

It began with a simple hello and went down hill from there.

“Ah. Hi,” I stammered, as my mind frantically went into overdrive trying to figure out where I’d seen this pretty blonde woman before. “Can I buy you a drink? It’s the least I can do,” she offered.

Something definitely was amiss because attractive young women didn’t generally offer to buy me drinks. I peered closer at her face. Recognition hit me like a sledge hammer. “Ah, I’m fine. I’m, ah, drinking water tonight--designated driver, you know? Thanks for the offer.”

She shrugged her shoulders. “Maybe another time,” she said, then turned to the barman. I made my escape.

“Hey, you gonna introduce us?”Jake said to me when I returned to our table. “Yeah, if you’re not interested, introduce her to me,” offered Simon. Both the boys had been behind me when Sophie (I’d remembered her name by now) had offered to buy me a drink.

“Ah, she’s not interested,” I said. The guys were angry. “What are you talking about? If you like her, that’s cool, but if not, don’t be selfish,” said Jake. “Yeah man, don’t be selfish,” echoed Simon.

What could I say? I couldn’t tell them who she was—that I had vivid memories of her foaming at the mouth and of her painting her room in feces. I couldn’t tell them that I’d looked after Sophie for two months in the psychiatric ward and that, even at her best, she would never be quite right.

So I suggested another bar, I bought a round of drinks, and Sophie was soon forgotten.

What do you think? Did I mistreat Sophie by not introducing my friends? Was I prejudiced? Well, probably, but for the right reasons. I was just using my common sense. I kept them safe, kept Sophie safe, and kept my mouth shut at the same time. We were all winners.

No comments: