Friday, October 12, 2007

Nurses should never rise above it all

More and more, nurses are doing things that traditionally were the role of doctors. From taking blood, setting bones, prescribing medication, the list is endless. Our role has changed, but not always for the better.

In British hospitals I've often found nurses either too busy to do the basics, such as washing a patient, turning patients in bed, toileting, or even doing patient dressings. Often I found a nurse assistant doing a wound dressing and I wouldn't even get to see how the wound was progressing. Often these assistants are only doing as they have been instructed, which is understandable as six months ago many of these helpers were working in the supermarket.

Nursing means taking care of a whole patient. It's not taking blood, giving antibiotics, changing infusions, prescribing medication. All of these jobs are a part of what we do now, but they are useless if the basics are not performed properly. It's no good giving a patient the latest antibiotic if he hasn't been turned for two hours and his pressure sore has broken down and become infected.

In the very act of performing a bedsponge, you automatically do an assessment of a patient. You look at the heels, elbows, buttocks and other pressure points. You feel the skin under your hands, is it soft, brittle, dry, hardened. You talk to the patient, are they confused? You see how well they move as you roll them around the bed. You listen to their breathing, are they coughing when you turn them. Do they feel warm? Does he or she open their eyes?

Some nurses don't have time to do this, while many other nurses think they are above these jobs. More than one charge nurse, or even just a senior nurse, has refused to help me lift a patient up the bed, even though they were they only staff around at the time. "I'm too busy" or "Find an assistant" are the usual responses.

We can't afford to be too high and mighty to do the grunt work. It's an integral part of the job. I guess I'm just a modern old fashioned nurse, and always will be.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Well! Well! Well! I finally found someone who knows what basic nursing is all about.

I'm sure your not the only one. But your the first I've heard mention any of this online.

Having done my training (Catholic hospital based) in the late 1970's in Sydney, basic nursing care was critical. Nurses religiously attended to the items you have mentioned.

I have seen this quality of care slip through the decades.

My only excuse for this is, perhaps the modern nurse is not trained to take care of these most basic needs and that they are kept too busy doing higher duties.

I am old fashioned and I'm not afraid to say it.

Nurses of today are a different breed. Highly educated, completely different role from when I did my training and pressured perhaps to take on a greater role with the shortage of doctors and their high skill levels.

I've heard horror stories of nurses refusing to do what we did back then and it is of great concern to me.

Having said that, I do take my hat off to the nurses that are being trained today. Considering the high educational fees with no pay during training. Having to take on a job to support them and their families whilst training. I do not know whether I could have done it, in today's climate.

I take it you were trained recently and I commend you for your work practices.

You have highlighted a very important missing link in nursing.

What influenced you to maintain these basic patient needs?

Great blog, I'll be back!

P.S. I went over to your other site, but I have never skied in my life, except on top of an old fridge door.

Regards
Peter McCartney
Sydney Australia.