Friday, January 15, 2010

The abuse continues

To the Health Center

'I am stunned at how negligent your medical care is. My son was seen three times and not once did you take him seriously'

The rest of the letter was just further complaining about how terrible we school nurses are, although one line did stand out:

'Am I to assume the reason you are a school nurse is because no genuine medical establishment would have you...'

I made a grab for the phone but my colleagues were too quick. 'No you don't, no rage writing' admonished Sheila 'You'll only make things worse.'

I didn't really see how things could be worse. None of my colleagues had at any stage seen the patient in question and the medical records backed us up. Either the child or the parent was blatantly lying. The most likely scenario is that the teenager had an accident while on holiday and they want the school's insurance to cover the costs.

"Fine. I won't call him. In fact I won't even bother with any kind of reply." Sheila was happy to write a reply. She's a natural diplomat. Her letter began with 'I'm sorry...' I left the room in disgust.

I'm not a politician and even if I were, sometimes some people need to be told the truth and told that their behavior is unacceptable.

No comments: