Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Breaking the C law,


I broke the C law, not on purpose. Never mind, too bad, he'll get over it. And what is the C law?

"Dear Nurse, thank you for your email, but we feel our son needs to see a doctor as his cough sounds terrible. He complains of being constantly tired, unable to sleep, and states that you do not let him sleep in the health center. As his parents we expect this request to be followed through. We hope to be able to avoid taking this matter further."

"Dear parents,
We will be happy to arrange for your son to see the doctor. We can arrange it for either tuesday or wednesday no problem. I do feel that he is not looking after himself, in particular regards to his smoking, especially as he has asthma. It's a very worrying combination. He has also been away this weekend, and I know he was at a big party and he was found very inebriated. He really needs to rest."

Later that evening, in the corridor...


"Hey Dave" I called out. Dave was only ten or so feet in front of me, walking with a group of friends. He turned at my call. "How's the cough?" I asked. His face hardened, "Fine. Thanks for sticking your nose in my business sir. Thanks a lot" he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm, a hostile glint in his eye. I stopped in my tracks, caught off guard. Dave had never spoken that way before to me or to anyone that I knew. I motioned for Dave to come forward, "Come here, please" I asked quietly. Dave did as I instructed. "What are you talking about?" I asked. "Thanks for telling my parents that I smoke. It's none of your business." I took a moment to collect my thoughts.

"You've got a short memory Dave. After all we've done for you. And now you're angry because your parents know you smoke. Are you going to stop smoking now?" Dave stood at arms length from me, his arms crossed across his chest, his feet in a wide stance. He looked ready to attack. "Yeah. Don't have a choice, or my parents will withdraw me. Who the hell are you to stick you nose in my business?" he repeated. I had heard all I needed.

"You want me to feel bad because you're going to stop smoking?" my voice rose a couple of octaves. "Who looked after you when you broke your collar bone? Who looked after you when you smashed your face on that rock and needed surgery? Who visited you in hospital every day? Who brought your friends in to visit you because you were bored? Who stitched you up when you sliced open your arm? Who drove you from classroom to classroom in the snow when you sprained your ankle?" Dave stood there, his mouth hanging open. His friends had taken a step back, in shock at seeing me tear Dave to pieces. It was a side of me very few had seen.

"Well, I have my rights, Confidentiality and all and I pay your wages" stammered Dave. As stunned as Dave and his friends already were, they were still unprepared for my next onslaught.

"Your parents practically ordered me to take you to the doctor. Your parents are providing for your healthcare, and they need to know the facts. You say you want to...sorry, have to give up smoking now, and you want me to feel guilty about that? Well I'm sorry for caring. You think I'm doing this for the money? You don't pay us to care. Caring people is what we are. Next time you come here, we'll do it without the caring. You can't pay for that. You need to go away and think things through. Oh, and one last thing, don't ever speak to me like that again, or you'll see a side of me you won't like." With that I strode past him without a backward glance.

The next morning

"Dear Nurse,
Thank you for your reply. This is a rather unpleasant information for us; it is the first time we've heard about this; we appreciate your frankness. It is extremely worrying that he smokes with his asthma. He was in hospital several times when he was younger because of his asthma. We will be dealing with this matter immediately.
Again, thank you for your honesty"

Later in the morning

"I'm very sorry sir" said Dave. He was sitting in the chair opposite me. His girlfriend had convinced him to come and seek me out. "Do you mean it?" I asked. "Yes" he replied, "I just never thought things through. I'm an idiot." I nodded my head "Yes, you are an idiot, but we still like you." Dave burst out laughing. "You're the only person that makes me laugh when I'm sick" he said. "It's just part of the job, although it's a shame they don't pay me more for the humor" I added. Dave blushed, got up from his chair, shook my hand and left the room.

No comments: