Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Dumping Ground

Maria, 14yrs old, caught stealing from another student, expelled from "World's Best Boarding School."

Maria, 14.5yrs old, found intoxicated, hospital called next of kin, no answer, so called me. Expelled from "World's Elite Boarding School."

Maria 15yrs old, found semi-conscious in nightclub, missing underwear, probably sex with stranger, expelled from "World's Top Notch Finishing School."

Maria 15.5yrs old, caught drinking, given warning, caught stealing, eventually expelled from "Boarding School for the Rich and Famous."

I was there on the last occasion. "You're the only people who've ever cared for me" Maria stammered, tears streaking down her face. My colleague, Jenny, was close to tears as well. "I'm sorry, it's not up to me" Jenny said, then gave Maria a hug.

Maria clung to Jenny as if clining to a life raft. She then gave me a hug as well. We helped load her bags into the car.

Jenny is one of many kids dumped into 'Elite' boarding schools around the world. I know there must be some truly quality boarding schools out there. But boarding schools are a business, and businesses are there to make money.

I blame the parents the most. They've got loads of money, but won't face up to the responsibility of raising their children. It's when children stray they need their parents the most. But I think Maria was an exception. I think her parents are assholes at best, but that's being kind. They're abusive assholes who need should be arrested.

But then there's the schools who know each child's background. They know they won't make a difference, but they'll take the money and accept the child. There are some good schools out there that are designed to take on troubled children, but many aren't.

If Maria had been allowed to stay, I think Jenny and I could have made a difference. But there's the other kids to think of and the school decided that Maria was too much of a risk. She could have cost them money.

No comments: