Monday, October 29, 2007

Embarrassing the kids

Everyone liked Greg. It wasn't because he was especially kind or especially generous, although that is not to say that he wasn't either of those. He was just a normal teenager who loved to laugh and loved to make those around him laugh. His favorite trick was to take out his false eye and scare the girls or impress the boys.

"Give it back" I overheard Greg say to the other boys at his table. I was sitting with my wife a few tables away and my ears perked up. "Come on guys, give me back my eyeball" I looked over at the table and saw Greg make a grab towards the kid on his left. It bothered me to think that Greg was being made fun of, especially since his false eye made him an easy target for vindictive teenagers. I had the feeling that Greg didn't really want to take his eyeball out, but he did it because by laughing along with others at himself, it helped him cope with all the attention he received. I thought I had better intervene.

"Hey guys" I called out to the lads, "Give Greg his eyeball back" Everyone at the table burst into laughter, Greg laughing the loudest. "What's so funny? Just give him his eyeball back" I said again. Greg finally managed to catch his breath "I said I-pod, not eyeball." I felt the blood rush to my face "You're awfully red" one of the kids remarked. The laughter continued, my wife laughing just as hard as the rest.

No comments: