Monday, October 22, 2007

Someone to turn to, no matter what...

I struggle with the thought of not knowing what is happening to my children if they become sexually active at a young age.

At the boarding school I am at now, I've had to give the morning after pill to one thirteen year old and one fourteen year old. We went through the school doctor and I asked him for advice regarding parental consent. He said that we can't tell the parents as the kids really need someone they can trust. I have followed these rules, and it seems to be working, and a lot of kids have come to me just because they know I won't tell their parents. I realize now just how important it is for them to have someone to turn to that they can trust.

Last year we even had one kid who tried to take herself to hospital in the middle of the night because she thought we would tell her parents. She climbed out the window of a four storey chalet and was very lucky not to break her neck.

There was one pregnancy at the school last year and we convinced the girl (16yrs) that she should inform her parents. She was very surprised at how supportive her parents were. Children often think their parents will be furious, when this is not always the case.
It's also important to remember that I am a hospital based nurse and I am also learning from these experiences.

So when I deal with someone under 16yrs, I have learned to try and deal with the whole picture, not just treating the problem. What this means is talking about sexual habits/practices, finding out how much a person knows as often children think they know it all, but after questioning they really don't. I have also learned that just like in the hospital, there is no set rule to go by as every case is different and actions can be taken to suit the individuals needs.

No comments: