Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Jobs that a male nurse shouldn't have to do part 2

So I avoided having to give Mrs Smith a catheter. Some nurses will be like Sharon and insist that a male nurse must do all that a female nurse does, and vice versa, but that is wrong. It wasn't an urgent situation, and in fact the only urgent situation that I can think of is the poor prostate patient with a bladder about to explode. I digress, back to Mrs Smith.

As I need a chaperone anyway, one that needs to be female, there is no need for me to do the job, and there is no need for the patient to have to go through having such an unpleasantly intimate job done by a male. As for all those poor men having a woman insert a catheter in their penis, well it just isn't the same, for the patient that is.

Some nurses will argue that we are professionals. They seem to think that by using the word 'professional' means we have open licence to do the most intimate procedures. I don't like the word professional as I sometimes feel it makes us sexless machines. We are carers first. It's not about what I can do for my patient because I have the knowledge, but about using that knowledge in an appropriate and caring way.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Hi! You did the right thing by giving the patient a choice. It was different for me back in the 70's. Within a catholic hospital I was only allowed to do the procedure on males.

Regards
Peter McCartney