Friday, December 7, 2007

Choosing to be blind

Before I begin, no names or places are real, but the situation is. It happened a couple of years ago, and the only reason it came to memory was that I have recently been giving some talks to the kids of drugs. I've also been recently dealing with some rather difficult parents. If the parent concerned in my next story did ever identify themselves, then it will be a mixed blessing. On one hand, the parent may be angry at me, but on the other hand it may just open their eyes, and by doing so, may just save a life.

"Do you think I should say something?" I asked the Sarah. Sarah was one of the other nurses whom I worked with. She had twenty years nursing experience behind her, twelve of those spent in boarding schools. "I don't see why not. It is a health issue. A very serious health issue. It would be wrong if we didn't say something" she said. "Yeah, but am I the right person to say something. The kid's already in trouble with Jim (dean of discipline) and he has already talked to the boy's parents. And you heard what Jim said, dad doesn't believe his kids would do such a thing."

Sarah was shaking her head in frustration, not at me, but at the father who wouldn't listen to what the school had to say. "Well maybe someone else needs to say something. Maybe he needs to hear it from someone else. We have to try." With that said I made the call to Mr Smith, father of Ian Smith.

"I've already talked about this with Jim, and the matter is settled. I don't appreciate you calling accusing my son of taking drugs" said Mr Smith. "I'm not calling to accuse anyone. I'm calling because I'm worried about Ian..." Mr Smith interrupted me before I could say anymore "Listen, I trust my kids. I know they wouldn't do anything. You cannot prove anything. They are good kids..." I decided it was my turn to interrupt him "I know they're good kids..." He interrupted me again. "Don't patronize me. You don't know my kids. I know they're good kids. Leave my kids alone or I'll sue you for harassment." I decided to give it one more try "Ok, but will you listen to me this once. If you don't agree with me, or want to speak to me after I've said my piece, then we'll leave it at that and the matter will be dealt with by Jim (Dean of discipline)." Mr Smith grudgingly agreed to listen.

I then explained the situation from our point of view, which was as follows:
Ian was found in his bathroom, with two other boys. They had a plastic bag filled with a dozen small, opened tins of varnish. A teacher walked in and found Ian sitting on the toilet, staring at the wall in a semi-conscious state. When spoken to he didn't respond. He was completely uncommunicative. The teacher hurried to get another teacher to come and help, and when he returned, Ian was still sitting there staring at the wall, looking pale, sickly, and still uncommunicative. The teacher's helped walk Ian to his bed where they lay him down and called the nurse. By the time the nurse got there (approx 15 minutes later) Ian was talking and almost back to normal.

"You've got no evidence. There were other children there. Ian was in the wrong place at the wrong time. This isn't the first time you've singled out Ian. You're out to get him. You have not right to accuse him of anything. Stay away or else."

I thought it best to end the conversation. Maybe with time he'll calm down and see reason. I wasn't accusing Ian, although I felt I had a justifiable right to. It's not politically correct or legally wise to go accusing, even when things are so damn obvious. I do wonder if anything I said would have made any difference. Jim, the dean of discipline didn't fare any better. It would be great if Mr Smith is right, but why can't Mr Smith at least accept that there is a remote chance he could be wrong. It's his son's life he is dealing with.

No comments: