Monday, December 10, 2007

I don't mean to sound cruel but...

"What are you boys' doing?" I asked the boys' in front of me. "Ah, nothing" there was a pause as they thought of a suitable answer. They were standing in the dorm foyer dressed in ski jacket and pants. "Ah... just going for a hike. That's all." They must think I'm stupid. "Don't lie. If you lie to me, I'll just have to report this to the Dean." I was referring to Jim, the school Dean of discipline. "Well, we were just going up for a quick look. The snow looks so good. We were going to be back before lunch" said Justin.

Normally I encourage the kids to ski, but school exams began tomorrow (Sunday) and the headmaster specifically said no one can ski. He didn't want to risk anyone getting injured, in particular a broken bone, just before they were to start exams.

"Well, guys, I'm sorry but you know the rules" I tried to be sympathetic to their cause, but then I had a sudden thought. "Hey Justin, you're only a beginner skier. What the hell do you think you're doing going up? Do you want to break a bone?" Justin didn't even look guilty "I'm a natural athlete. I skied ten times last season. I am in the advanced ski lessons now." As a ski instructor of ten years, I knew that this was utter rubbish, but Justin probably genuinely believes he is good. "Well, whatever, but you can't go up today, the headmaster specifically said so. Is that clear?" Everyone nodded their head and headed back upstairs to their room to get changed out of their ski clothes.

As the nurse on call it was turning out to be a quiet Saturday morning and I was relieved that I had stopped a potential disaster from happening. Every weekend someone broke a bone. Ninety percent of the breaks were from kids going too fast and jumping. At this school any kid who could make it down a intermediate ski run thought they were good and could be found in the jump park. Some were even good at jumping, but rubbish at skiing. With the snow dumping down outside, I settled myself by the fire with a good book, expecting a quiet day.

At two o'clock the nurse mobile phone rang. "Hello, nurse on call" I answered. "It is doctor Munroe. We have one of your students here" he said. "Ah, you do?" I sounded surprised. Kids were supposed to call the nurse first, and then we took them to the doctor. Kids are not to go directly to a doctor. "We have a skier who has broken his collar bone. Can you come and pick him up?" said doctor Munroe. "Ah, the kids aren't supposed to be skiing doc, what's the kid's name?" "Justin. Do you know him?" said Dr Munroe. "I know him very well. I'll come and pick him up" I offered. "You don't need to worry, he just left in a taxi. It looks like he's trying to avoid someone" he said.

Justin isn't the first kid to try and hide an injury by sneaking to the doctor or even the hospital without contacting the school nurse. There was even one girl who, with two friends, sneaked out of the dorm at midnight and took a taxi to the hospital down in the valley. We never found out until the hospital sent us the bill. No matter how hard the kids try, we always catch them.

At two thirty I received a phone call from Justin. A very sombre Justin was asking for stronger pain relief. "Come to the health center and I'll see what I have for you" I instructed him. Ten minutes later we met in the health center. I couldn't help myself from saying "I told you so." Justin was still defiant "I'm a good skier, a natural athlete. I'm good at all sport" he said. It amazed me how Justin could still say this while his face was contorted with pain. Perhaps it's just as well he is in pain, maybe he'll learn a lesson. But that's just cruel of me...isn't it?

No comments: