Monday, December 3, 2007

I'm not perfect. I'm far too human.

"I'm sorry" said the young man lying in front of me. "So you should be" I said and turned and walked away. The relatives of the man gave me hostile looks, but kept quiet. They may lay a complaint later, but I doubt it. Their son, brother, cousin, nephew, has caused enough grief already.

You're not going to like me for saying this. In fact it's the opposite of how nurses should be, but I can't be nice to that patient. I'm struggling to be civil, and for the most part, am managing it. How unprofessional of me, but he just killed his best friend. Fortunately the passengers of the car they crashed into survived.

He's not even a teenager anymore, so he can't use that as an excuse. He's twenty one and knows that drinking and driving kills. The guys weren't just a little drunk, they were roaringly drunk when they got into the car. His friend wasn't even wearing a seatbelt, but he, the driver, was. But it could just as easily have been the other way around, with the friend in the driver's seat and wearing the seatbelt.

My colleagues are treating him so gently, but I can't be gentle. My mum and dad were on the same stretch of road of the fatal crash only twenty minutes earlier. I keep thinking how easily it could have been them that they crashed into. The more I think the more angry it is making me, but I'll do my job, and give him the best medical care we can offer. Well, the best physical medical care, I'm not in the mood for the touchy feely stuff.

No comments: