Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'm a Sexless Professional

I'm a professinal, at least that's what my colleagues say. But what does that exactly mean?
I recently had a discussion with some fellow nurses, all Amercican nurses, and told them that there are certain things that I am reluctant to do as a nurse. One of those things was the female catheterization.
"That's sexist" was one of the more polite remarks I recieved, while one of the more rational arguments was "We are professionals. As long as we behave in a professional way, then we should all have to do the same job." The group of women all agreed on this point. "So, does that mean we are nurses first, then man/woman second?" I recieved some confused looks, then eventually recieved a "Ah yes, well not exactly yes. No, ah Yes." I have asked this same question regarding catheterization of several male nuress, and they all agreed with the women.

Am I the only male who thinks that it is harder for a female patient as well as for a male nurse to do such an intimate procedure? Am I the only nurse who thinks that gender does matter? What harm does it cause if I choose not to do a procedure when there are capable people around who could do it just as well, plus make it easier for the patient.

And what does being a "Professional" mean? From what I'm hearing from others it sounds like I am a sexless machine capable of doing it all because that is what I am paid to do.

Instead I think of myself as a caring carer. I have my faults and biases. I make mistakes and I sometimes let my feelings help make my decisions. But I have a big heart and I do the job because I care first. I enjoy making people laugh when they're sick. I enjoy being able to make a difference in people's lives. I also do the job recognizing my faults, and if I ever think that my views/faults may jeopardize a patient, I know to get someone else to take over that patient's care.

I guess I'm not a very successful Sexless Professional. But I can live with being called sexist and unprofessional, just because I sometimes refuse to do female catheterization. I'm sure there's a lot worse things I could be.

No comments: