Thursday, November 8, 2007

Trust no one, part 2

I was woken early from my sleep by the phone. It was only nine o'clock and I had been asleep only a hour. "Were sorry to call, but it's urgent" said the woman on the line. It was Sheryl, one of the nurses from the agency. "What's wrong, what's happened?" I asked. I wasn't worried yet as I was couldn't think of anything that I had done wrong. "It's about last night. The hospital is furious" Sheryl said. "Can you give me some idea what it is all about?" I asked, still not too worried at this point. "You'd better come in, it'd be easier that way." It wasn't the answer I wanted. "Listen, give me some idea, or I'm not coming in. I should be asleep, and you want me to spend the next hour traveling to your office, worrying what on earth I have done." After several seconds of silence Sheryl spoke. "They said you prescribed and gave your own medicine, and the wrong dose as well." I felt my stomach lurch. "I'll be right there."
When I arrived at the office I was immediately taken to the manager, Miss Smith. She was very direct and didn't waste any time. "According to the charts you gave a patient voltaren 100mg. She was prescribed only 75mg twice daily. Plus you wrote on the chart that you gave 100mg. You're not supposed to write on the chart." I couldn't believe it. "I phoned the doctor, he prescribed it over the phone. I even phone the night nurse supervisor to make sure that it was ok to take a verbal order." Miss Smith nodded her head, "But what about the 100mg of voltaren? !00mg twice a day is too much." "But she missed out on her morning dose, and we had no 75mg suppositories, so we gave her the 100mg. The doctor did say it was ok." Miss Smith didn't look too happy at my words.
"And can you name this doctor involved, or the night supervisor?" asked Miss Smith. My mind was a blank. I'd had to phone three doctors as well as two night supervisors, none of whom would come to the ward. I shook my head. "Well then you're going to have to find out the doctors name. We've also contacted both night supervisors and both deny ever receiving your call and state that they do not allow verbal orders over the phone." I was struck speechless. My head was in a whirl. I felt that this wasn't really happening. Surely I would wake up in bed and find it was all a bad dream. "Well screw them, screw them all, this is bulshiit, utter lies" I was in a rage now. I have rarely felt so utterly full of wrath. For the first time since I had seen her, Miss Smith looked sympathetic. Perhaps she actually believed me. "Is this normal protocol? Am I supposed to carry out my own investigation? Am I supposed to ring around the hospital and interrogate the doctors and nurses. You've got to be kidding. It's my word against two senior nurses. I don't stand a chance. They are covering their own butt, that's what they are doing."
Miss Smith did believe me, and over the course of the next 24hrs the matter was dealt with. I was not to work in that ward again, or to be in charge again. I do find it ironic that I had never been asked to be in charge and was not only put in charge without my prior knowledge, but was left without another registered nurse to work with.
Eight years passed before I worked at that hospital again, this time in the emergency department, and guess what, they do take verbal orders, hospital policy does allow it. But I no longer take any verbal orders. I learned my lesson the hard way. When you're an agency nurse, you can't trust anyone, especially when the shiit hits the fan.

No comments: